Water of Life
Scripture: Genesis 2:10; Isaiah 40:31; Matthew 9:2-7; John 4:1-26; 9:1-11; Romans 6:1-6.
Did you know that much of your body is made up of water? Your brain is 90 percent water. Your blood, 83 percent. Your muscles, 75 percent. And your bones, 22 percent. With this knowledge, we should make sure that we’re drinking enough water on a daily basis.
The benefits of drinking water are just too good to ignore:1
1. Water will help you lose weight. Drinking adequate amounts is an effective appetite suppressor because it reduces hunger. It also flushes out the by-products of fat breakdown.
2. Water is a natural headache remedy. Dehydration is a common cause of headaches. Adequate amounts of water will relieve headaches—as well as back aches—caused by dehydration.
3. Water will give you younger, healthier looking skin. When properly hydrated, you’ll look younger. Water helps to replenish skin tissues, moisturizes the skin, and increases its elasticity.
4. Water will improve your performance at work. Since your brain consists of 90 percent water, drinking adequate amounts will help you think better, be more alert, and more able to concentrate.
5. Water will help you exercise more efficiently. It will regulate your body’s temperature. And since water helps to fuel your muscles, you’ll feel more energetic during workouts.
6. Water helps with digestion. It raises your metabolism as it aids in digestion. Add in fiber, and the two work together for a healthier digestive system.
7. Water lessens cramps and sprains. Being properly hydrated keeps your joints and muscles lubricated, so injuries will be less likely.
8. Water improves your immune system. Drinking plenty of water fights the flu, and also helps to prevent kidney stones and even heart attacks.
9. Water relieves fatigue. It flushes toxins and waste products from your body. Lack of water causes your heart to pump harder to send oxygenated blood to all your cells and vital organs. Your organs then become exhausted, and so will you.
10. Water elevates your mood. Without a doubt, when your body feels good, your mood will follow.
11. Water reduces the risk of cancer. Some studies show that drinking adequate water may reduce the risk of bladder and colon cancers.
As you can see, drinking water offers many health benefits. On the other hand, lack of water can be the cause of many health problems. Tiredness, migraines, constipation, muscle cramps, irregular blood pressure and kidney problems can be some of the risks from a lack of water.
Although water is important to your physical health, there is another type of water that’s even more important. It’s the “water of life” that Jesus talks about. He’s talking about your spiritual health when He says in John 4:14, “whoever drinks the water I give him will never thirst. Indeed, the water I give him will become in him a spring of water welling up to eternal life."
When we’re physically thirsty, we take a drink of cool, refreshing water—then later, we’re thirsty again. But when we’re spiritually thirsty—thirsty for forgiveness, hope, love, peace and acceptance—a relationship with Jesus will quench that thirst once and for all. Jesus Himself is the “Living Water.” And He alone can satisfy every thirst—every need.